Nature

Kansas City has experienced a lot of strange and unnerving events in 2024, and this is the place to discuss them.
Caboose04

My favorite is the comment "Plot twist : the lyre bird was doing the narration"
someguyinKC

What bird has the most elaborate, the most complex, the most beautiful song in the world? I guess there are lots of contenders but this bird must be one of them. The superb lyrebird of south Australia. He clears a space in the forest to serve as his concert platform. To persuade females the come close and admire his plumes, he sings the most complex song he can manage and he does that by copying the songs of all the other birds he hears around him, such as the kookaburra. It's a very convincing impersonation. Even the original is fooled. He can imitate the calls of at least 20 different species. He also, in his attempt to outsing his rivals, incorporates other sounds that he hears in the forest. That was a camera shutter. And again. And now a camera with a motor drive. And that's a car alarm. And now the sounds of foresters and their chainsaws working nearby.
got milk?
cd3vane

Opening this on my phone in desktop view was weird, thanks for the chainsaw bird blessings
Screaming into the void
opulens
Site Admin

cd3vane wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:32 pm thanks for the chainsaw bird blessings
I hope you attract many chainsaws.

Blessings.
blondie

Be wary of an imposter? Warning heard 🫑
93: Love is the law, love under will.
acidstads

Someone is not to be trusted πŸ€” We’re starting to find out who are the friends and who are the foes.
kevin

Based on the accounts from last night, the witch seems to be associated with nature. This could be opulens' way of calling out that the witch has absorbed other people's rituals and is using their trappings as a way to draw us closer.

Or he could be saying that there's a liar amongst us. Either or.
blondie

kevin wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:00 pm Based on the accounts from last night, the witch seems to be associated with nature. This could be opulens' way of calling out that the witch has absorbed other people's rituals and is using their trappings as a way to draw us closer.

Or someone is being mistaken for someone else because they are presenting differently?
93: Love is the law, love under will.
lazysmartperson

perhaps the whole of the upstairs, the salt pentacle and wood witch imagery is not the real thing, just mimicking the aspects of magick to attract those fascinated by it.

the sigil might be real, though, used to signify or strengthen the deception.
β€œEvery blessing ignored becomes a curse.” - The Alchemist
Wanda102

The seeds of distrust, sown by Sir Richard Attenborough of all people.
haleywilde

blondie wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:15 pm
kevin wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:00 pm Based on the accounts from last night, the witch seems to be associated with nature. This could be opulens' way of calling out that the witch has absorbed other people's rituals and is using their trappings as a way to draw us closer.

Or someone is being mistaken for someone else because they are presenting differently?
I like this thought... my gut tells me WIB (either as the tree woman or Dymuntz), but I have no supporting evidence.
merely someone at the edge.
haleywilde

This video really gives the vibes of what I imagined the tree woman to be like- loud and boisterous, drawing you in with her performance.

So much so that you all were distracted away from a potential other opportunity or person, perhaps?
haleywilde

someguyinKC wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:31 pm
What bird has the most elaborate, the most complex, the most beautiful song in the world? I guess there are lots of contenders but this bird must be one of them. The superb lyrebird of south Australia. He clears a space in the forest to serve as his concert platform. To persuade females the come close and admire his plumes, he sings the most complex song he can manage and he does that by copying the songs of all the other birds he hears around him, such as the kookaburra. It's a very convincing impersonation. Even the original is fooled. He can imitate the calls of at least 20 different species. He also, in his attempt to outsing his rivals, incorporates other sounds that he hears in the forest. That was a camera shutter. And again. And now a camera with a motor drive. And that's a car alarm. And now the sounds of foresters and their chainsaws working nearby.
Lyrebird = Lamia
Kookaburra = The Redcurves?

Perhaps WIB was using the flashy tree outfit and ritual that was stolen from the family in the woods to lure you all in... and it worked.
haleywilde

unless opie is the lyrebird, disguising himself... maybe for protection?
Brianamatopoeia

It's interesting to me that people see this as a warning. My interpretation is that this bird isn't a threat. Sure he is intentionally misleading in that he isn't what he sounds like he is, but his intentions are not to harm his listener, but rather to attract or entertain. There are SO many other examples in nature of animals using a similar skill to hunt for prey, but instead this one of a harmless bird looking for a friend was shared.

To me, the message would be to not be surprised if you answered the wrong call, but to also consider the intent behind the caller. But I could be wrong. It happens all the time.
It has the juice.
haleywilde

haleywilde wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:04 pm
Lyrebird = Lamia
Kookaburra = The Redcurves?

Perhaps WIB was using the flashy tree outfit and ritual that was stolen from the family in the woods to lure you all in... and it worked.
Continuing with this, I do like the idea that lamia is using aspects of The RedCurves culture and rituals for her own goals. Maybe Dan was the bridge between them and he's regretting it. If they live in the woods that he always does Exiled in, then he must work with them or at least have an agreement with them that creates peace. And now it's being disrupted by the elites who are not only taking over, but now using their practices as a disguise. Dan as an angry and stressed middle man makes a lot of sense to me.
haleywilde

Brianamatopoeia wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:22 pm It's interesting to me that people see this as a warning. My interpretation is that this bird isn't a threat. Sure he is intentionally misleading in that he isn't what he sounds like he is, but his intentions are not to harm his listener, but rather to attract or entertain. There are SO many other examples in nature of animals using a similar skill to hunt for prey, but instead this one of a harmless bird looking for a friend was shared.

To me, the message would be to not be surprised if you answered the wrong call, but to also consider the intent behind the caller. But I could be wrong. It happens all the time.
There's definitely a lot of reasons someone could want to portray themselves as something they're not:
an outsider (person at the edge) wanting to fit in, luring someone into danger, distracting from something else going on, pretending they have wealth when they don't, gathering information to take back to someone... the possibilities are endless.
haleywilde

Another theory:

Dymuntz is the lyrebird imitating opie which is why it feels similar, but just a little off:
The profile photos are similar, but not the same. They both have admin type roles, but they're different which means different colors. They're both homophones of words pertaining to wealth, but opulens has more of a backstory and reasoning for his (lowercase o because real opulence is quiet and understated), whereas Dymuntz has an uppercase D so it's more in your face and seems to goes against the point.

CLEARLY I'm in my throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks phase of this. Take whatever speaks to you and run with it, or ignore them all completely. Either is understandable.
Brianamatopoeia

haleywilde wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:31 pm
Brianamatopoeia wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:22 pm It's interesting to me that people see this as a warning. My interpretation is that this bird isn't a threat. Sure he is intentionally misleading in that he isn't what he sounds like he is, but his intentions are not to harm his listener, but rather to attract or entertain. There are SO many other examples in nature of animals using a similar skill to hunt for prey, but instead this one of a harmless bird looking for a friend was shared.

There's definitely a lot of reasons someone could want to portray themselves as something they're not:
an outsider (person at the edge) wanting to fit in, luring someone into danger, distracting from something else going on, pretending they have wealth when they don't, gathering information to take back to someone... the possibilities are endless.
Maybe they have always felt like an outcast and just want to be accepted? Lots of people pretend to be something they're not just to fit in, just to make it through the day. It doesn't make them dangerous or bad. Heck, sometimes they don't even realize they're doing it.
It has the juice.