Chat with opie and Muntzie - 8/16

Kansas City has experienced a lot of strange and unnerving events in 2024, and this is the place to discuss them.
someguyinKC

As is usually the case when stuff starts to happen, I was offline for most of the night last night. I had been at a concert with my wife and we were drinking. So when I got home, I decided it was a good idea to drunk-text opie at 1 am. I wanted to send a "you up?" message but opted instead for "opie wtf happened tonight". It took about 15 minutes but he actually responded! He agreed that I do pick the worst nights to have my attention elsewhere.

Thanks to my state of sobriety, I had very little filter. This was shortly after Muntzie had told opie to stay in his lane and we were all chatting about that, so I said "I feel like I can ask a bit directly at this point, what's the dynamic between you and Dymuntz?" He asked why I feel I can ask that and I responded "Mostly because I've had a few drinks, but also because I feel some sort of camaraderie with you." He completely sidestepped the question and said "Tell me which drinks." I told him I had had a bit of whiskey and several beers. He asked "What kind of whisky and what kind of beer?" I told him Jim Beam, Miller Light, and Yuengling Flight and asked if he had ever had Yuengling, trying to get back to a more casual conversation. He said it's very good. Maybe overhyped but a solid and well brewed drink. He then told me he's been sampling our local brews while he's been here. He said he's tried a lot of different ones but that he likes the rare finds and threw out Pliny The Younger (which I googled and found is a limited release triple IPA from Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, CA). I suggested that he check out the Boulevard tour while he's here as it's been one of the best brewery tours I've ever been on.

At this point I snapped back to the idea that I've been too nice and even said that to him before asking another question. "Wtf is going on out there? Shit seems to be hitting the fan. What can you share?" He said he had had some drinks and wasn't sure what he should say and that he should be careful. I said "Let it fly my friend."

Almost immediately, my phone rang. Apologies, but since I was drunk enough to think it was appropriate to text poor opie so late, I was also too drunk to remember exactly how the conversation with Muntzie went. She reiterated that opie had been drinking and that I shouldn't push him too much. She then gave me some shit about drinking Jim Beam and Miller Lite, but said nothing about the Yuengling. I think it's worth noting that this was at 1:35 am and she sounded wide awake. I don't recall if she was conversational with me or just spouting off lines. Interesting to me at least...

Once that call was over, opie responded and said that it wouldn't be wise since I have a tendency to remember what he says. I said "Of course I do. I take it all to heart." This is when he really started to drop his opie wisdom. He said "Stress does strange things to people. Can cause any number of unanticipated actions, and consequences. It's always important not to push someone in such a state, they're vulnerable." I told him that I thought vulnerability was a good thing to which he responded "Not all vulnerability is the same texture. Someone standing on the edge of a bridge is not the same as someone trying to tell someone they love them. Vulnerability of the heart and mind is preferable to vulnerability of the immortal soul." Then in a quick follow up message "Well, preferable to some." I asked which he preferred and he said it depends on what work must be completed. He then said that "the 'Dutch Courage' certainly seems to aid your pursuits, doesn't it?" and I told him that I'm a bit shy otherwise. He asked why I thought that was and I told him that I guess I overthink whether someone would even entertain my questioning but that the "Dutch courage" filters that idea out for me. This was where he went full opie:

"Stop torturing yourself with pointless worry. No one around us has thought that way about you, at least not publicly. And if they had, what of it?
Matt, you are a burning candle, with one burn in you. You can’t pause it, you can only wait it out as your wick diminishes.
Be who you are. Stand tall. Speak from the chest. Let the cards fall where they fall, there will always be another deck to play with and another table to play on."

I told him that I intend to just that. That I've called stuff out from the very beginning and have held very little back as far as my thoughts/spaghetti. I told him that having nobody in the group with any preconceived idea of who I am has really allowed me to be the truest form of myself. And it's been a fucking blast. He said "Imagine what you could accomplish if you treated every moment of your life as if no-one's preconceived ideas mattered to you" before letting me know that he must depart and offering his blessings.
got milk?
campbellstruts

opulens likes his burning/fire metaphors. He’s used those quite a few times with me in the past
I shall not be afraid of the terror in the night, nor the evil that walketh in darkness - because I have made the Lord my refuge.
haleywilde

someguyinKC wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:06 pm I told him that I thought vulnerability was a good thing to which he responded "Not all vulnerability is the same texture. Someone standing on the edge of a bridge is not the same as someone trying to tell someone they love them. Vulnerability of the heart and mind is preferable to vulnerability of the immortal soul."

"Stop torturing yourself with pointless worry. No one around us has thought that way about you, at least not publicly. And if they had, what of it?
Matt, you are a burning candle, with one burn in you. You can’t pause it, you can only wait it out as your wick diminishes.
Be who you are. Stand tall. Speak from the chest. Let the cards fall where they fall, there will always be another deck to play with and another table to play on."
I have nothing to add except that I fucking loooove opie. You all can see why I call him my bestie- he's seriously the best 🥹 I miss him
merely someone at the edge.
blondie

haleywilde wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:12 pm I have nothing to add except that I fucking loooove opie. You all can see why I call him my bestie- he's seriously the best 🥹 I miss him
I think he has a big heart and a wise soul. A good choice for a bestie
93: Love is the law, love under will.
someguyinKC

OH MY GOD!! How could I forget to add that Muntzie called me a teddy-bear fucker before hanging up. Not suggesting that I fuck teddy bears, but I’m a fucker, who also happens to be a teddy bear. I think…
got milk?
Caboose04

I am glad he enjoys some good craft beer! :) I used to be in a group that traded and sold beers from all over. So I got to be lucky enough to try some from all over. Now its got me trying to find some Pliny the Younger for opie. :P
KAYLYN

Sometimes all you need is some words from the wise. I've reached out once doubting my place. Definitely don't feel as if I belong, but words of encouragement kept me here and I intend to stay no matter what others think of me, or what I think they think of me. I'm glad you got those messages. They stick with ya :)
Brianamatopoeia

opulens and Dymuntz definitely have a way with words. They both have a way of making you feel so seen and appreciated and understood while saying whatever that nugget you NEED to hear is. It's pretty cool that we have access to such wisdom. I'm going to try to remember to not take that for granted. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Pliny the younger is delicious! And pretty hard to come by. Pliny the elder is also popular, but not as much as Younger. There's a local watering hole near me called Tony's Darts Away that serves it. But it's so rare, when they get a keg, it's a big deal- they make it a whole event. Last time they had it was February 14th. They take reservations and those book up almost instantly! I've been once, it was super fun and super delicious.they make stickers and everything "I got Younger at Tony's Darts Away". 🤣 I've never seen it in a bottle or a can, just on draft.

All that to say, our dynamic duo is not only wise, they have great taste. And now I'm thirsty for a Pliny.
It has the juice.
PiaPol

Kaymart wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:53 pm Sometimes all you need is some words from the wise. I've reached out once doubting my place. Definitely don't feel as if I belong, but words of encouragement kept me here and I intend to stay no matter what others think of me, or what I think they think of me. I'm glad you got those messages. They stick with ya :)
Heard. Felt.

I have felt like an outsider at times because I had not previously been 100% in-tune with what was going on here. Other responsibilities dragged me away but I never stopped thinking about the events transpiring right here in Kansas City.

When my time came to participate and show Exiled I was worth of an experience I knew I had to grasp it.

This community has made me feel welcomed after I allowed myself to accept it. Despite whatever sinister work is being done… there is something so special happening within this group. I’m glad to be here. Let’s burn bright, even if just for a moment. 🥹💖

Thank you, Exiled KC.
haleywilde

PiaPol wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:10 pm
This community has made me feel welcomed after I allowed myself to accept it. Despite whatever sinister work is being done… there is something so special happening within this group. I’m glad to be here. Let’s burn bright, even if just for a moment. 🥹💖

Thank you, Exiled KC.
That’s the beauty of these experiences, and I get so happy whenever someone new gets to come in and feel it too. 🥹

And not to worry, it’ll last much much longer than Exiled does. I have been a part of this community since I was 19, and I just turned 27. We might take little breaks here and there, but we’re all always here when you need us. 🖤
merely someone at the edge.
Whoischelsea

someguyinKC wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:06 pm "Stop torturing yourself with pointless worry. No one around us has thought that way about you, at least not publicly. And if they had, what of it?
I love this quote so so much. opie is so good with words and so poetic at times. I like that you drunk texted him and it ended in profound wisdom. I hope you listen to him too! We are all in this together trying to figure it out. I think what makes this experience so much better is how wonderful and kind everyone is - dutch courage or not!
I figured out how to edit this
kassidy.exe

Reading this, I find myself really drawn to opie and Muntzie. Their dynamic to each other, while mysterious, is so interesting, but I am always intrigued by what they have to say. They remind me alot of other people (characters) I have spoken with in the past.

Their words always seem so gentle here, yet I have gotten daggers through words and actions through them when I have encountered them both in person and over the phone. My fragile heart is a tad sensitive and its hard to process or comprehend it sometimes, but I still find myself drawn to them. Weird how that works. This is becoming unrelated to the topic. Anyways, what a fun interaction to have while drunk.
chose to be exiled. #karaokefinalgirl
ToCarp

ALL OF THE FEELS HERE..... you kids are all beautiful creatures! I love this love share entwined with deep dark scary 🖤🥹🖤