(9/29) Message from Dorothea Redcurve

Kansas City has experienced a lot of strange and unnerving events in 2024, and this is the place to discuss them.
kevin

I get a No Caller ID call, late my time, and very late for anyone in Kansas City. Given all the goings-on tonight, I'm not really sure who I expect to hear on the other end.

"Is this Kevin Gossett?" a gruff voice comes through, roughing up my last name, and I answer in the affirmative.

I ask who it is, "This is Dorothea Redcurve."

Innnnnteresting. Not at all who I was expecting.

He asks if I run the Exiled forums and and I say that I help out and have some power there, but not as much as others.

Dorothea tells me he wants to get a message out to everyone on the forums, but he, very pointedly, does not want to make an account on the forums (he does not like technology). He asks if he can post without joining the forums, so I offer to help him out, and tell him I can post on his behalf. I ask him what he wants to say, and he tells me to relay his message verbatim, no funny stuff...

"This is Dorothea Redcurve.

I don't use those interweb boxes because I'm a man with testicles and a good damn spine.

But I did want all of them monitor jockeys at home to know that we've been working on an evening full of fun and scares.

Don't pay no mind to loud fucking songbirds, just come on down with an empty belly and a full wad ,and we'll take care of you."

He waits patiently as I scribble down his message. While I'm writing, he's constantly burping, and at one point, stops to take a very loud piss. After I write it all down, I ask him if there's anything else he wants to say, The call beeps, he's hung up on me.

--
I make this post and then about twenty minutes later, I receive another call from Dorothea. He asks if that's all the "great Kevin Gossett has got" (I appreciate the compliment), and where all of the storytelling is. I point out that he told me to get his message out verbatim. This prompts a string of curses, "...motherfucker, cunt...." before the line goes dead again.
Lexthewolf

Please ask Dorthea if he accepts favors in return for food.

Im literally broke.

I will work for food.
from dust we were created, to dust we shall return.
Caboose04

Hell yeah! I got you Dorothea! I will be seeing you soon! I would like more coffee, please Sir.
kevin

Unfortunately, it was a rather short conversation and most of it was taking down his message.

He was very patient while I was writing it all down though.
Caboose04

kevin wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:16 am Unfortunately, it was a rather short conversation and most of it was taking down his message.

He was very patient while I was writing it all down though.
Well at least he was patient! Unlike Cletums when I was looking for a pen. Haha he was like God Damnit son!!
Caboose04

Noted. Dorothea. Man of details and story telling!
kevin

It's funny because I did think about adding more details to my original post, but wanted to make sure Dorothea's message came through loud and clear with no spin on the ball. Assumed he would be annoyed that I didn't make his words the focal point, or take away from his meaning.

In retrospect, (and because he specifically called out the storytelling) I should have recognized that what he had to say was only part of it. The Redcurves are entertainers and showmen, they know what makes something stick. His verbatim message only leaves a small impression, maybe you'll think about it, or connect the idea of the songbird to the lyrebird or whatever if you're deep in it.

But what makes you really remember it are the details, right? Him indicating he can't be bothered with the interwebs and finding a way around his problem, burping, taking a leak...those are what make it sing.
PiaPol

Dorothea was a warm and welcoming host for me when we spent time together. Lots of physical touch. Hugs, sitting so close together we were rubbing shoulders. Intimate and meaningful conversation over drinks. He might have mildly threatened me during the pool game, but he was never disrespectful.

He’s a showman. He’s the ring leader. he’s the head of the Redcurve family.

I don’t think any of us are truly prepared for what the Redcurve Carnival has in store.

As a side note, I had my partner watch the reel posted yesterday, featuring Haley’s trip and my experience.. he mentioned Dorothea reminded him of Captain Spaulding.

Dorothea if you’re reading this I hope you find that’s a compliment (because it is!) 😁
cd3vane

PiaPol wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:37 am Dorothea was a warm and welcoming host for me when we spent time together. Lots of physical touch. Hugs, sitting so close together we were rubbing shoulders. Intimate and meaningful conversation over drinks. He might have mildly threatened me during the pool game, but he was never disrespectful.

He’s a showman. He’s the ring leader. he’s the head of the Redcurve family.

I don’t think any of us are truly prepared for what the Redcurve Carnival has in store.

As a side note, I had my partner watch the reel posted yesterday, featuring Haley’s trip and my experience.. he mentioned Dorothea reminded him of Captain Spaulding.

Dorothea if you’re reading this I hope you find that’s a compliment (because it is!) 😁
Holy shit this is my favorite take and I love Dorothea more now he definitely has a Captain Spaulding vibe!!
Screaming into the void
blondie

As a writer and editor, I would love to offer my services for anyone ever in need of a jazzy post. I can’t remember my own phonecalls for toffee but if you got the deets, I can spin an entertaining yarn
93: Love is the law, love under will.
blondie

Voiceover work also available 🫡
93: Love is the law, love under will.